Saturday, November 19, 2011

Meal Plans - Supper

Here's an example of a 355 calorie supper, profiled on this site
Supper is my largest meal of the day. Ideally, there will no snacking afterward, so getting filled up is critical. This is also a chance to balance out any excess carbs I've eaten with some extra lean protein.

Whatever calories are left in the day are available for supper. Usually for me this means 400-500 calories. Here are some of my supper plans:

Grilled or roasted meat with lots of veggies and a small amount of potato or a small whole grain bread portion.  This is my go-to formula for most suppers at home. As a rule, the leaner the cut of meat the more I can have.
  • Chicken breast or pork chop grilled on the Foreman with peach salsa. 
  • Leg quarter or breast from a deli rotisserie chicken (no skin). 
  • Pork loin (4 oz serving).
  • Petite sirloin. 
  • Small fillet. 
  • Boiled shrimp.
  • Grilled salmon with mango chutney. 
  • Grilled tuna steak with a little teriyaki sauce. 
  • Strips of chicken breast baked with a light breadcrumb coating (like Shake N Bake)
  • Strips of seasoned chicken breast grilled on skewers (lime & cilantro or garlic & basil or spicy chili mixtures are all good!)
  • Turkey breast (Boston Market has a decent turkey dinner & one serving of mashed potatoes is OK, but NO creamed spinach, YIKES!)
 • Whole wheat spaghetti with meatballs. I limit the spaghetti and eat more meatballs - but make sure you know how many calories are in your meatballs! I buy them in big frozen bags, so it's easy to see portion sizes & calorie counts. Turkey meatballs are better, of course. Add a salad (Pasta takes the place of bread.)

Eating out I look for restaurants that give me a calorie count on their diet options. (Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, Subway, Panera Bread). Grilled meats & veggies are usually safe. Salads are only good if you make them yourself & know what you're doing, or if you're giving a calorie count! Always look at the menu online BEFORE you go out to eat (I rarely eat at chain restaurants that don't give calorie counts on their websites) and go in with a plan.

Sushi (following the rules I described under Lunch plans). I can enjoy a larger portion at supper than at lunch.

This is my delicious magic weight-loss potion, a high-protein gumbo with lots of veggies.
Soups & stews. Some soups & stews will fill me up. I love a hearty gumbo, but I make it heavy on the lean meats (chicken or turkey breast, shrimp) and veggies (carrots, celery, okra), light on the sausage and rice. This gumbo is my favorite meal and my magic weight-loss weapon (click here for my recipe). Using that technique, and sticking with leaner meats, you can make some very satisfying fish stews and even beef stews.
 





Enhanced by Zemanta