Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What does a 400 calorie supper look like?

So, can you really get full on just 400 calories for supper?

YES! The trick is to use lots of lean protein and fresh or frozen vegetables, lightly cooked. Don't skimp too much on fats, either, but tilt the balance toward healthy fats, like olive oil, avocado, and fish, as much as possible.
Chicken breast from a deli rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy from Boston Market,
ratatouille is my own recipe (which I will share with you one day soon!)

This is an example of a fairly typical evening meal for me, or a large lunch. I consider mashed potatoes a major simple-carb indulgence, but I manage to fit them in on occasion. I have to deal with the fact that carbs beget carb cravings, though... it's very hard to eat just one serving, and several minutes after I'm finished eating a simple carb like potatoes I'll have a massive craving for something sweet. I deal with that by knowing it's coming, and knowing that it will pass. I tell myself 'this is just a feeling, and it will pass in a few minutes' and then I find something else to consume my attention.

One chicken breast from a grocery store rotisserie chicken (skin not eaten), 1/3 cup mashed potatoes and 1/4 cup gravy (from Boston Market), 1 serving ratatouille (from my own recipe which I'll share soon).

Nutrient info for the meal overall:
Calories 343;  Fat 13g (6g of that is from the olive oil in the ratatouille);  Cholesterol 83mg;  Sodium 768mg;  Carbs 23g;  Fiber 3g;  Protein 30g
 
Calories come from: 36% protein, 35% fat, and 28% carbs.
 
Not bad for a meal that includes one of my favorite treats! I could eat this for lunch, since it's under 350 calories. If I had it for dinner, I'd probably add a cup of yogurt or some fruit for dessert.









Enhanced by Zemanta