Saturday, August 9, 2014

Telling my fat to shut up

I could have titled this post "One Weird Trick That Will Help You Fight Cravings." It is weird, it is a trick, and it sure is helping me. Maybe it'll help you.
Believe it or not, I really DON'T want to eat this.
You'll never guess who does!

I've stopped thinking of unhealthy cravings as "wanting" things. What I want, right now, is to lose weight. And I know I can't lose weight if I eat ice cream and Doritos. Therefore, I don't want to eat them.

But…it sure FEELS like I want to eat them!

There's a little voice inside me that says, "Oh, just do it. You know you want it. You deserve it, because you're stressed/happy, because you've done so good today/you've already screwed up anyway, because [reasons]."

I used to think of that voice as the devil on my shoulder, but that didn't help. That devil is a fun little badass who gets me into delicious trouble. I love that devil. When she talks, I listen!

So, I've shifted my perception. Now I think of that voice as my fat talking.
Hey. Hey. We need some Doritos up in here.


My fat tissue, I reason, has a survival instinct just like anyone else. And to survive, it needs french fries, soda, Doritos, cupcakes, ice cream, and fettucine Alfredo.

I certainly don't want those things, at least not more than once a week or so in small portions. I recognize that I've gained too much weight and need to correct my eating habits. I want to live a long, happy, healthy life, so I want to eat vegetables and lean proteins. Those are the things my muscle tissue, organs and brain ask for.

But my fat has its own agenda. Hey, it just wants to survive — who doesn't? But keeping it alive isn't my job, it goes against my goals. So now I say no to my fat - which is infinitely easier than saying no to myself.

It sounds like this inside my head:

My fat: Mmmmm... look at that creamy gelato, I want some!
Me: Nope.  I'm trying to lose weight, and gelato isn't on the menu today. Next weekend, maybe.
My fat: But, but, gelato! Think about how cool and creamy...
Me: Shut up, fat. I don't care what you want. 


OK, it's weird. Laugh if you want — but it's working for me. You might try it if you're also trying to get your fat tissue to go away!